Sunday, August 14, 2011

Rejoice Regrets



Life is short and all about taking risks. Big risks, little risks. How do we know which risks are the right risks to take? Well that's just it, isn't it. You can't really tell what's going to be worth going for until after you try. Or, alternatively, after you don't. And, of course, when you pass something up, all you can do is sit and wonder... What if?

People always ask me if there was one thing in my life I could change, what would it be? What is my biggest regret? Now, it's perfectly normal to have regrets. And I don't deny having a few. I regret my choice of living and school straight out of high school. I regret making friends with bad people. I regret losing good friends. I regret fooling around with a few guys. I regret NOT fooling around with one guy. I regret not letting him kiss me when he tried. I regret not speaking my mind until it was too late. I regret not telling my mother the truth until now. I regret not spending enough time with my family. I regret spending money on petty materialistic items. I regret not taking care of myself. I regret all of the bad habits I have that I refuse to break.

Rereading through that, I didn't realize how many I had. But the main thing is, I don't choose to live by them. Having regrets and living in regret are two completely different things. It's okay to have regrets. It's only human. To wish we could change bad things we'd done or bad choices we've made is not uncommon. The goal in life is to do exactly what you want to do to be happy. Or at least, that's my personal point of view. I figure happiness is the only thing REALLY worth working toward. And that can be achieved in several ways. Love, Job, Money, Friends, Family, etc. Whatever makes you happy. Living in regret, however, will not bring happiness.

When I see people constantly feeling sorry for themselves and wishing life was different and wanting to change all the bad they'd done, I don't really feel much sympathy or pity. A little, just because it's sad that they've managed to make their life that way. And I don't want to hear that bad things could happen that weren't their fault. Yes, that's oh so entirely true. Bad things happen to everyone that are out of their control. BUT! It's your choice if you want to dwell upon it longer than necessary. Be mad, be sad, but don't live that way.

I believe that everyone has the strength to overcome anything if they just try. If they just believe. It's their own fault if they want to sit alone and mope and consume drugs or alcohol or play with sharp objects. No one HAS to do that. No one is forced. That's your coping method? Find a new one. Surround yourself with people who want to help you. Surround your self with positivity and life will be better. Being caught in a mass of negativity will just make things more negative.

So. What is my biggest regret? What's the one life-changing event I wish I could take back? There isn't one. I embrace my regrets after wallowing in them for a day or two. Because I love where and who I am now in my life. Regrets are what shape us as individuals. When you make a bad choice, you can learn from it. It shows your strengths and weaknesses and it shows you are human. Sometimes, things happen for a reason. And without everything that has happened to me I wouldn't be where and who I am. I'm strong, I'm independent, and I'm always optimistic and generally happy. I love everything I have and everyone in my life. And I wish that everyone else could feel like this about themselves. When you reach a point in life where you know who you are and you like it and you don't care about anyone or anything else, it's pretty neat.

Never regret anything. Because at one time, it was exactly what you wanted.

1 comment:

Jeff King said...

Awesome post… we are who we are because of our mistakes as well as or successes. So I have no regrets!