Friday, May 20, 2011

Thinking about Robert Frost..

I want you to take a moment, right now, to stop and think about where you are in your life. What room? What city or town? What state? What country even? What job are you currently working? What relationship are you in? What mindset? Now, after all that, I want you to ask yourself one question:
Did you ever think you would be exactly where you are now in your life?

Now that you're thinking about all of that, don't start thinking about what you wish you could change or what you could have done differently. Think about now. Think about what you still can do to make a difference in your life. Or maybe someone else's. What can you do to make your life better than it is now? Don't tell me your life is grand and there's nothing more you could possibly ask for. Life is a mass of opportunities waiting to be taken advantage of. Even if it's the most minuscule thing. Instead of wistfully thinking about it, do it. Time is precious and shouldn't be wasted.

Too few people realize that everything they've ever wanted is at their fingertips, if only they would grab it. When you really want something, nothing else should matter. You should do everything you can to obtain it. Money or distance are merely excuses for those who are too lazy to make an effort. Every obstacle can be overcome if you have the will to do so. Everyone in this world is looking for the easier way. The easier way to get what they want, or the easier way out of a bad situation. The more you look for it, the less you'll find. Aspirations take time and effort and more than a little elbow grease. They take passion, and heart and tons of struggling. Even a bit of failure is common along the way. You can't succeed without finding out what not to do first. This is why mistakes shouldn't be frowned upon.

A mistake is always a good thing because you have the chance to learn from them. You know for the next time how to right your wrongs. You know what you need to do better or differently. And I, for one, always enjoy a learning experience. No matter how much pain I have to go through, I know that in the end it will all be worth something. It's always toward a bigger and better goal. If at first you don't succeed, try again. And again. And again. Never give up. Giving up means you don't care. Giving up means it never mattered.

I think it's regrettable how many people aren't willing to do what it takes anymore. Everyone is either afraid of failing or getting hurt. And while I admit I am still working out how to not be afraid of getting hurt, I know that not trying won't do me any good. So go out. Try something new. Reach towards your goal. And when you're faced with that fork in the road, take the path with the bumps in it. Put everything you've got into what you want and don't give up when the going gets tough. Keep going!


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"

1 comment:

Jeff King said...

WOW… great post. I couldn’t agree more.

Your opinion was so complete, and valid, I am left without much else to say… other than thank you, great pep-talk. My day just got a little brighter.