Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Resolution of Unrealistic Resolve

As I run across the field of dreams
I never wondered what it means.
To leave behind a world so dead,
and just keep running straight ahead -
Dare to dream instead.
To leave the comfort of my bed,
to leave it all behind,
just to find truth.
Because reality soothes fantasy
And woefully inhibits me.
Escape the dark, back to sleep
Deeply dreaming a dream within a dream
But when you awaken
The dreams are taken, mistaken
So distant but oh so near
Quickly do they disappear
Back to the field, they bloom.
--By Me!

It's a little early to be thinking about resolutions, but as the year ends I've come to one realization. This year has been a complete and total nothing. Everything has been ordinary. Everything stayed the same. The only day of this year that seemed to matter was the day I saw the person who inspires me the most in concert and that would be - you guessed it! - Jason Mraz. It wasn't a fangirl fantasy to be there. It was a dream coming to life. For the first time in my life. And the feeling was indescribable. Fulfilled, inspired, motivated, enlightened, happy. Okay, maybe it is describable...

My sister had a status on facebook a few days ago - I know, how 21st century, people can't just say something without it being online now. I digress. My sister said the other day that 2012 is a year of dreams becoming reality. And I have to agree with her. Since going to the concert, I've had an overwhelming sense of inspiration. I've been writing a lot more and thinking more about things I could write about. I've even bolstered the courage to show a few people my work. And praise was certainly heaped. I've found this motivation inside me that I didn't think I had and now I realize, I want to make something of doing what I love. I want my writing to be heard. I want my writing to be my life.

And so my resolution is this: I will focus more on writing and become more dedicated to it. I will find ways to promote it or publish it, even if those steps aren't achieved in the coming year, I will at least know how.

Dreams are worth the chase. Letting go of them is giving up and saying you're not good enough. And that's not right. You're good enough to get what you want if you try. You're good enough to be in this world. No one can make you think otherwise. Grab your dreams and fulfill them. Don't waste them.

What's your resolution? Or better yet, what's your dream?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention! :)

Ur writing is great! Share it with the world!!