Friday, November 14, 2008

The Heart of the Matter

I think I am a romantic at heart. I don't show it, but deep down when I am I am reading about or watching sappy things like candlelight dinners, walks on the beach, or even just a loving kiss, I get sad inside wishing I could have that. And yet, if someone shows me the smallest act of romance, I feel smothered. Maybe I'm smothered by fear, maybe not. I'm not exactly sure. I know that once I experience love, it will be an epic adventure. 


It's funny. The way romance is written in books and movies and television shows...you'd think maybe people would take a hint from the media and try to recreate the happily-ever-afters. After all, doesn't everyone ultimately want just that - a happily ever after? Or maybe that's just some real wishful thinking. Maybe it's just a clever tactic after all to keep ratings up. Lonely women sit with their pints of ice cream and woefully wonder "Why not me?" Okay. So I'm stereotyping. Sue me.


But honestly, every woman - I don't care what you say - wants their happily ever after in some way, shape, or form. They want to be happy with someone who will love them for who they are, not who they aren't. Someone who will embrace their flaws rather than point them out or mock them. Someone who will hold them when they want to be held; who will hug them and wipe away their tears; who will laugh with them, cry with them, fight with them, make up with them. 


So how do we get there? How do we find someone that will last with us through the good, the bad, the thick and the thin? How do we know who is exactly right for us? Is there someone EXACTLY right for us? Is settling the only thing left we can do, is life in this period of time based specifically on settling? And if that's the case, why even bother? These are all age old questions that every lonely woman constantly begs to be answered. It's interesting how alike humans can be even though they are supposed to be their "own unique individuals". No. Such. Thing. We might all be different people, but when it comes down to it, we're the same. Deny it all you want. You know it's the truth.


"All you need is love."

"Love is a battlefield."

"Where is the love?"

"Love is the thing, you know."


The one thing the whole world shares in common - love. Love is the common denominator - the greatest common factor. Is this truly our purpose in the world, to find love? Is that why we were sent here, created, whatever you want to believe came to be the existence of human life. Because at the end of the day, everyone wants to go home to someone's open arms.

No comments: